Carmenta Tutor Profile: Alex D.
Alex D., M.Ed.
The Ohio State University
Carmenta Tutor rates range from $75/hr. to $220/hr. If you are interested in hiring one of our tutors, please Email or call us at (212) 203-8734.
- Ancient Greek
- Basic Math
- Algebra 1
- SAT (Math and English Sections)
- ACT (Math and English Sections)
- GRE (Math and English Sections)
- English Grammar
- Essay Writing
- Classical Literature
- Classical Civilization
- Classical Mythology
Alex has a B.A. in Latin from Oberlin College as well an M.Ed. in Foreign Language Education from the Ohio State University.
Years Worked As Teacher/Tutor
Standardized Tests Taken
SAT: Total 1850 (Last taken 2006)
ACT: 32 (Last taken 2006)
GRE: 1290 (Last taken 2010)
State Teaching Certifications
Certified to teach Latin in Ohio (Grades P-12) and Michigan (Grades K-12).
Alex studied Latin and Classics at Oberlin College. During his time at Oberlin, Alex had the honor of studying abroad for one semester at the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome. He then earned a Masters in Foreign Language Education at the Ohio State University, during which time he participated in teaching practicums at a variety of schools. In his four years since graduate school, Alex has taught Latin online, tutored English and Essay Writing online, mentored and supervised other online tutors, and taught Latin in a traditional classroom. He has experience working with students of all ages. Alex brings enthusiasm to every lesson he teaches and enjoys getting to know his students in order to most effectively identify their educational needs and goals.
Alex’s accomplishments include the following:
- Recipient of Classics Study Abroad Award at Oberlin College
- Recipient of Classics Alumni Prize for Excellence in the Study of Latin at Oberlin College
- Recipient of Mentor of the Month from online tutoring company
- Assisted in the piloting of two new educational technologies while working for the Lakota Local Schools - Canvas (an online learning management system) and Mastery Connect (an online system used to assess students’ progress toward meeting educational standards)
- Successfully skydived (and plans to do so again)
Alex is patient with explaining the more complicated sentences we are having now that we are further into the language. When we are first going over difficult chapters he gives more examples other than just what the textbook has, which is always helpful to break down what is happening grammatically. He is always able to give historical background to the sentences and reading paragraphs in the textbook, which is nice since a lot of times the textbook provides only a sliver of the information you might want to understand what they are about.
Dallas, TX, USA
Eastern (North America)
Preferred Method of Contact With Students
Via email or phone