Carmenta Tutor Profile: Kathleen B.
Kathleen B., M.A.
University of Hawaii
Carmenta Tutor rates range from $75/hr. to $220/hr. If you are interested in hiring one of our tutors, please Email or call us at (212) 203-8734.
- Ancient Greek
- SAT Prep (English)
- Spanish (Beginning Level)
Kathleen has a B.S. from SUNY (the State University of New York) in Biology/Chemistry and an M.A. in Classics from the University of Hawaii, Manoa.
Years Worked As Teacher/Tutor
Standardized Tests Taken
SAT: Total 1350 (Math 720, Verbal 630) (Last taken 1966)
PSAT: Total 1093 (Math 598, Verbal 495) (Last taken 1965)
GRE: Total 1400 (Math 750, Verbal 650) (Last taken 1971)
Kathleen has studied at the University of Hawaii in Manoa, the American Academy in Rome, The American School of Classical Studies in Athens and various other universities. She has taught in Hawaii at the University of Hawaii in Manoa, Hawaii Baptist Academy, and at Bow High School, Nashua North High School, and Wyndham High School (all in New Hampshire). She has also taught in Continuing Education in Concord, NH.
- Surfed a ten foot board in Hawaii.
- Two state championship teams in the Certamina competitions.
- Received an award for a translation of the "Gladiator" story in Latin.
- Past president ('93-'95) of the city of Concord’s Woman’s Club.
- A ’95 graduate of the Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program in Concord.
- A contributing Editor for the Concord Monitor.
- A Deacon in the East Congregational Church of Christ.
- Designed and created dramatic costumes for the Concord Children’s Theater, Northern New England Victorian Society, and St. Paul’s School in Concord, NH.
- Performed minor leads and chorus roles in Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.
- Tour guide at President Pierce’s home in Concord’s Historic District and developed lectures to give at schools across NH that cannot afford to send children to Pierce’s home.
- Consultant for ETS, grading work for the National Certification in Latin as well as participating on the development committee for the newly added Latin Praxis exam.
- Edited the Wheelock Workbook for Harper Collins.
- Started a thrift shop for St. Paul’s School to raise funds for the Missionary Society, which has been a great success.
- Hobbies include reading, stained glass, gardening, sewing, cooking, and entertaining.
My Experience With Carmenta
Every student I have had has been positive and motivated, attentive, and focussed. I love the wonderful and insightful questions! I also love the timing of our classes. Being later in the day, our schedule allows for optimum learning. Unlike other programs I have come in contact with, ours has kind instructors who are knowledgeable and supportive.
I appreciate Carmenta's underlying philosophy of longterm learning and overall strength and understanding. I have taught two different levels and found them to be comfortably challenging for my students. They are not too hard or too easy. My students feel that they are progressing and feel good about their experience. If students adhere to our reasonable structure and work schedule, they cannot fail.
Carmenta's is a proven system with talented and devoted staff. I feel totally supported and appreciated. Who could ask for anything more?!
The Carmenta Latin Junior class is helping with my knowledge of Western Civilization as well as my vocabulary. Kathleen is understanding and patient, with a terrific knowledge of the subject matter. She is also funny and creative. She has been accommodating and she sends interesting links with background knowledge. My favorite aspect of the class is the interaction with the teacher and fellow students.
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Eastern (North America)
Preferred Method of Contact With Students
Via email and Skype