Carmenta Tutor Profile: Stefania B.
Stefania B., M.S.
University of Macedonia
Carmenta Tutor rates range from $75/hr. to $220/hr. If you are interested in hiring one of our tutors, please Email or call us at (212) 203-8734.
- Ancient Greek
- Modern Greek
- Koine/New Testament Greek
- Basic Math
- English Grammar
- Essay Writing
- Creative Writing
- Classical Literature
- Modern Greek Poetry
- Modern Geography
- Classical Mythology
Stefania has a B.A. in Philology (with a specialization in Linguistics) from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, and an M.S. in Information Systems with a specialization in E-Learning from the University of Macedonia in Thessaloniki. She has also earned a Certificate in Sex and Equality in School and Society from Aristotle University and a Certificate in Programming for Teachers from the Hellenic Open University.
Years Worked As Teacher/Tutor
In a few words, I am a qualified, passionate high-tech teacher of the Classics!
I studied Greek Language and Literature, with a specialization in Linguistics, at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. While there, I attended the interdepartmental program "Sex and Equality", which focused on equality between the sexes in education.
Participation in the Aristotle U. seminar courses titled "New Technologies and Philology", coupled with my flair for digital learning and languages, pushed me to explore another field of language: computer languages! And having completed the Masters program in "Information Systems" at the Macedonia University of Thessaloniki, I now more than ever believe that digital learning tools can enhance students’ learning experience, and I am a huge supporter of e-learning!
While an Erasmus student, I attended Linguistics courses at the University of Berlin (Freie Universitat) in Germany, where I also taught Ancient Greek to interested local students.
Early in my academic life, I volunteered for several state-funded programs and non-profit organizations, such as "Kids in Action", which taught Ancient Greek as a foreign/second language to adults and kids.
I have worked for years as a private tutor/teacher, preparing Greeks and foreigners for the national university examinations, entrance exams to private schools (especially the American College), and Greek Language Diploma exams. At the same time, I have cooperated with several private and public organizations such as the Municipality of Thessaloniki, Elix Learning Centre for Secondary Education, and Arsakeio High School.
I love teaching Ancient Greek and Latin to both adults and kids! I particularly enjoy creating a joyful and creative atmosphere in the classroom, applying principals of game-based learning and theatre as well. My aim is to develop reading, listening, writing, and speaking skills equally, combining traditional and communicative approaches to teaching.
What differentiates me from most other teachers is that I strive to link the past with the future, the newest technology with a rigorous study of the classics.
- Combining university knowledge with work and volunteer experience, I came up with the idea for the Aristotle Institute of Greek Language and Culture. The Institute offered language courses to those vacationing in Greece. The Aegean, sun, local people, daily Greek courses, and enjoyable atmosphere all made the Institute a big success!
- Since 2012 I have been teaching over the Internet. I recently completed my masters thesis in "3D virtual, collaborative, multi-user, learning environments." I can't wait to welcome you into my 3D virtual world!
- Since 2004 many of my students have achieved high scores in the national university examinations for Latin and Ancient Greek and the exams for the Modern Greek Language Diploma. One of my students achieved the country's fourth best grade in the national university exams!
- I worked as a teacher of Classics at Elix, a learning Institute for secondary education in Thessaloniki, which won 1st prize for Innovation and Creativity in Education in Greece.
- I taught computer skills to a class of senior citizens with zero experience in using computers.
- I have sold more than 50 houses as a real estate agent and counselor! Working in my family’s real estate agency gave me the opportunity to develop my sales and communications skills. Growing up in a house of businesspeople, Ι started my "career" as a saleswoman at the tender age of 6, writing poems and selling them to my schoolmates!
- I worked as a volunteer in a summer camp for children with special needs. It was a life-changing experience.
- I raised a boxer as a pet. For 12 years we were inseparable, and I trained her so well that people couldn't believe I hadn’t hired a professional trainer!
- At the age of 7, I created and organized a children’s library for my neighborhood.
- When I was 17, I created a Classics club to give students the opportunity to help each other in Latin and Ancient Greek.
- As a teenager, I learned to be a stilt-walker, and I entertained younger students at school events.
- As a student, I was a first-place winner among the schools in my region in painting, running sprints, and writing.
- I love travelling and experiencing different cultures and ways of life. An unforgettable experience was living in a tent without electricity for 2 months in Gaudos, an isolated island in the south of Greece!
- I transform trash into furniture. I love crafting and performing DIY projects for the home.
- I feel blessed and thankful for managing to keep relationships with some good friends alive for the last 25 years!
- Last but not least, I feel that the greatest award a teacher has is the relationship he/she builds with a student and the positive impact the teacher has on a student’s life. Many former students continue to keep in contact with me and, to my delight, seek my guidance and friendship.
Stefania is an incredibly qualified teacher of Ancient Greek who obviously loves the subject. She explains things very clearly and is happy to help with any troubles. She is a wonderful teacher, and I have learned so much from her.
Rockville, Maryland, USA
Greenwich Mean Time (Britain)
Preferred Method of Contact With Students